Thursday, December 9, 2010

When it comes to cooking...

I am no chef.  I can follow a recipe, or alter it if I don't like it, but no dish I've ever made is completely my own. Sometimes I alter a recipe if I don't have all the ingredients on hand, but I can't say if it ever turns out any better or as good as it should have.

I am making turkey loaf - this is a new one (ground turkey was on sale at Fry's).  I like that its a full meal in one dish.  And an interesting one at that.

before being cooked

Ground turkey mixture (which contains rice), cheese, broccoli, cheese, turkey mixture. Interesting.
The only thing is, in the turkey mixture, it calls for 1 Tablespoon of beef bouillon. 1 Tablespoon!
Do you know how much sodium is in 1Tbsp of beef bouillon!?  2700 mg!!!
Is ground turkey just so bland that they had to add a bucket of salt to give it some flavor?
The daily recommended amount of sodium is less than 2400 mg.  Okay, okay, sure, you slice the loaf into 8 pieces, but I still think that is way too much sodium.  

So I just put 1 teaspoon of beef bouillon in.  I'm good at altering. 
I'm not good at altering for the better taste, I have no idea how it will turn out.

I'll let you know in an hour and a half.

At that same time I'll also let you know if my husband has enrolled me in a cooking class.

No comments:

Post a Comment