Thursday, December 9, 2010

Stromboli

I feel like I need to post a Christmas recipe.  This is not a Christmas recipe. Unless you eat pizza on Christmas Eve, then it could be a Christmas recipe.  We've had bagel bites on Christmas Eve before, but not pizza, and not stromboli.
We love homemade pizza.  I love it because it is something all my kids will eat.  Each time I make it, I slip in a few more veggies and each time my picky ones eat it, they get a little more accustomed to the green stuff.
I also throw a little bit of wheat flour and flax seed into the crust (a little trick I learned from my M-I-L); its more filling and it makes me feel like we're eating healthier.
I could make it every week and the kids wouldn't complain.
However, I was running out of creative ideas as far as pizza and my kids go.
So last week I tried Stromboli, and I don't think my kids will let me go back to regular old pizza again.

It's fun to make, and just as easy as pizza. Try it some time!


The recipe:

Stromboli


1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed 
  or pizza crust  (I love PW's pizza crust)
Italian seasoning
4 c. shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
toppings of choice, such as salami, ham, sausage, red onion, bell peppers, spinach


Roll out dough into two 10 x 15 inch rectangles on floured surface. Sprinkle dough with Italian seasoning. Cover each rectangle with 2 cups of cheese, and all your toppings. Press toppings gently into dough. 
Starting with the long side of the rectangle, roll the dough into a log shape.  Seal the end by pinching the dough together.
Carefully lift onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise to 30-40 minutes.
Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, or until lightly browned.
Allow to stand for 10 minutes before slicing thickly.  Serve with warm pizza sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment